Targeting Resources for Equitable Access to Treatment for Long COVID
Today, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), alongside Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Representatives Don Beyer (VA-08) and Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE), and Senators Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Edward J. Markey (D-MA), introduced the Targeting Resources for Equitable Access to Treatment for Long COVID (TREAT Long COVID) Act to increase access to medical care and treatment for communities and individuals struggling with Long COVID.
The bill will fund the expansion of Long COVID Clinics and empower health care providers—including community health centers and local public health departments—to treat Long COVID patients in their own communities.
The TREAT Long COVID Act would expand treatment for Long COVID nationwide by:
- Authorizing the Department of Health and Human Services to award grants up to $2,000,000 to health care providers, including community health centers;
- Granting funding for the creation and expansion of multidisciplinary Long COVID clinics to address the physical and mental health needs of patients;
- Prioritizing funding for health providers that plan to engage medically underserved populations and populations disproportionately impacted by COVID-19;
- Ensuring that treatment is not denied based on insurance coverage, date or method of diagnosis, or previous hospitalization;
- Encouraging ongoing medical training for physicians in Long COVID Clinics and other health care workers serving patients; and
- Requiring grantees to submit an annual report on its activities that includes evaluations from patients.
Read more about this story in the Washington Post.
Video of the press conference to unveiled the legislation at a virtual press conference earlier today.
Thank you for your work:
Body Politic, Patient-Led Research Collaborative, Utah COVID-19 Long Haulers, Access Living, National Health Council, American Physical Therapy Association, Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mbadika, Solve M.E., American Association on Health and Disability, Longhauler Advocacy Project, and Lakeshore Foundation.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Urge your Senators to support TREAT Long Covid Act for all post-viral diseases, including Long Covid and Post Viral Illness.